Search This Blog

December 27, 2015

The Gluttony Challenge

Hello all.

Sorry for the delay, but I have been quite distracted these past few days.  Nonetheless I am bursting at the seams to share my revelations with you.  Let's get right to it.

The holidays are filled with warmth, love, and sweet potato pies. I've seen countless pictures of meals and gifts as I scrolled through my timeline.  By the 5th one, I was over it.  So, I started thinking. How much time have we spent eating physical food compared to being nourished by the word of God?

By definition, gluttony is habitual greed or excess in eating.  While I tried to be mindful of my carbs, I failed horribly on yesterday.  That got me thinking again.  We live in a competitive world.  What if for 1 week,  instead of spending aimless hours scrolling through or posting to social media or over indulging in your favorite snack, you spent that time engrossed in prayer, meditation, praise, and worship? 

For example, if you are accustomed to snacking all day to feed the physical man, try focusing your time on feeding your spiritual man.  This challenge is 100% optional.  The goal is to help you begin to increase your time with God and dependence on Him.  Obviously I'm not saying you should skip a meal. But it probably wouldn't hurt to skip the 2nd or 3rd helping of spaghetti or the king size Reese in the check out line.

The only requirement in this challenge is for you to decide what you are willing to give up or lessen to be closer to God.  I've decided that when I get a craving for something sweet I'm going to drink water and pray.  And when I want to scroll through Facebook out of boredom, I'm going to open my Bible app instead. 

Remember,  the challenge only lasts 1 week. It begins on Monday, Dec. 28th and ends Monday, Jan. 4th.  Don't worry if you miss a moment.  It simply will serve as reminder to continue striving for a deeper relationship with God.

#lovealways

No comments:

Post a Comment